Tuesday, January 3, 2012

My Top 10 Favorite Novels...

...in no particular order, because I love them all.  (And the Bible isn't on here because it is not a novel, but that is my favorite book ever =D) Most of these books I have read multiple times, and for the ones tat I haven't read more than once, I have every intention to do so.  Go read these books. And love them like I do. :)

 A Tale of Two Cities, by Charles Dickens. A remarkably moving look at life during the French Revolution. This book had me overwhelmed, amazed, laughing, and even sobbing. Definitely one of the greatest works of literature available.

 Ishmael, by E.D.E.N. Southworth. This book is a sort of rags-to-riches story of a young illegitemate child. He is truly a lovable character, and his life is an inspiring one. Ishmael is out of print, and to my knowledge is only available through Lamplighter Publishing, but do get it! It's sequel, Self Raised, is very good, as well, and satisfies the tragic ending of the first book.

 Tales of the Resistance, by David and Karen Mains. What a book! This is a children's allegory of the Gospel, and is part of a trilogy (Tales of the Kingdom and Tales of the Restoration are the other two books). My friend Cooper recommended it to me, and rightly so! I read the entire book in one sitting, and was brought through smiles, tears, anger, and joy. Tales of the Resistance is a must-have for any family!

 The Chronciles of Narnia series, by C.S. Lewis. If you aren't already familiar with this series, do get acquainted. Enter the story of two children who stumble upon the magical experiments of the absurd Uncle Andrew. Before they know what to think, they are thrust into a wood with mystical pools of water, and the adventure begins! Another allegory, summarizing the key elements of the entire Bible. Absolutely life-changng.

 The Lord of the Rings trilogy, by J.R.R. Tolkien. Lewis and Tolkien both were members of a group of writers known as the Inklings (from which this blog borrows its title), and have become famous for their friendship. Tolkien has erected a true masterpiece of literature as he tells the tale of a magical ring, a fat little "hobbit," and a handful of people thrust together in a mission to destroy this ring. A very compelling story, again one that brings out all sorts of emotions. While I wouldn't call this one an allegory, it does take key elements of Scripture and beautifully portray them in this epic fantasy.

 Elsie Dinsmore, by Martha Finley. A sweet, inspiring story of a young girl who, despite having everything in worldly terms, has only one wish in the whole world: to meet her father. Practically an orphan, yet one who is heiress to plantations and mounds of wealth, Elsie is the dearest little character you'll encounter. This book might be a little more geared to girls, but it is really quite suitable and enjoyable for the whole family.

 Beowulf, unknown author. I know. Right now you are thinking, "GEEK!" Well that's because I am one. But seriously, this is an awesome book. I've read it four times in the last three years. It is poetry, yes, but very easy poetry. Readable in two hours. At least I've done it. :) By the way, get the Seamus Heaney translation. Best translation ever, especially since you get the opportunity to learn a little Old Norse along the way.

 The History of the Kings of Britain, by Geoffrey of Monmouth. Let the real geek arise. Technically, this is not a novel, but there are enough historical innacuracies that I count it as one. Matthew, my brother, who read this at age ten (yes, he is just slightly intelligent), LOVED it! Even if you hate history, though, and you can't stand acts of blood and gore, and you think that medieval people were stupid, you're going to love this book. I can almost guarantee it. Give it a little patience, because it takes time to get used to for some people. This book is HILLARIOUS, given a chance to show itself. Really, who can pass up five-foot men carrying eleven-foot giants for five miles and throwing them over cliffs? You can also find the basis for all the legends of King Arthur and Merlin in this book. The only thing I might skip is the prophecies of Merlin. They're kinda weird. :P

 Emma, by Jane Austen. Hahaha! That's all I can say about this book. It is hillariously amusing, and brings in a sweet romance as well. Most definitely worth reading. Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility are other favorites by Austen.

 The Pilgrim's Progress, by John Bunyan. What a story! You most likely know that this is an allegory, and you may or may not know that it is the most widely selling book in history, only surpassed by the Bible itself. Yes, it is that good! You can read it in the Old English, or get various translations of it. I'e read it both ways. I distinctly remember being about nine or ten years old and actually memorizing whole chapters of the abridged version! Excellent stuff. Very convicting, and inspiring as well.

Well, those are my ten. If I could have, I would have listed dozens more...books like Jane Eyre, The Secret Garden, Little Lord Fauntleroy, Deadline, Little Women, The Nine Tailors, The Great Gatsby, Till We Have Faces, Anne of Green Gables, and a billion others for good measure. :) Plus, I could have a huge list of non-fiction, But, I have restrained myself, and your job in return is to read all the books in this list.

Bye then!

Meridian

3 comments:

  1. I have read a few of the books that are your favorites! Narnia! C.S. Lewis...some good stuff there! Have you read the Screwtape Letters? Have you read the Blood of Kings series?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Rachel- yes Screwtape is yet ANOTHER of my all-time favorites!! Quite honestly, I could name at least a few hundred, if not a thousand or more books that I at least enjoyed, if not thoroughly loved. :)

    And no, I haven't read the Blood of Kings series, but I've heard it's good. I'll keep it on my ever-growing reading list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey now! It's called a history for a reason! Those are all facts and you know it. *grumpy face* >:| I'm glad that Tales Of The Resistance made it up here. (: Till We Have Faces is amazing. I must say I love all of the ones up here that I've read. Once again we agree. Shocking. Purely shocking.

    ReplyDelete